makes 30 cupcakes / 350 degree oven
1 pound carrots
2 tablespoons Earth Balance (or vegan margarine)
1/2 cup water
1 cup Coconut milk
1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp egg replacer powder- mixed with 3 tbsp water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoon cardamom seed, crushed
1 cup cashews, chopped
1. Peel, rinse, and grate the carrots with a fine grater.
2. Sauté the carrots in earthblance for 3 minutes. Add the water, bring to boil, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
3. Remove the lid. Stir to cook off any remaining water.
4. Boil the coconut milk with the cardamom seeds Allow to steep for 3 min.Add to carrot mx and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
5. Add 1/2 cup of sugar and stir to dissolve. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
6. Remove of the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
7. In a large bowl, mix together the cooled, cooked carrot mixture, egg replacer, vanilla, 1-1/2 cups sugar, vegetable oil, and coconut milk.
8. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
9. Stir the flour mixture into the carrot mixture. Continue to stir until combined.
10. Add the chopped cashews and stir to combine.
11. Scoop out into cupcake papers about 3/4s full.
12. Bake at 350 degree oven for ~25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Icing:
1/4C Earth Balance (room temperature)
1 8oz container or Tofutti Vegan Cream Cheese (room temperature)
4 1/2 C Icing sugar- sifted
1. Beat earth balance until smooth. Add Tofutti and whip until lump free. Scrap the bowl down and mix again. Add icing sugar.